Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

PR 332 The Focus of My Blog


Blog Post PR 332 The Focus of My Blog

The focus of my blog will be about appealing news articles found in PR News. I enjoy the articles on this website and I would love to blog about breaking public relations news.

I liked the PR News top story titled, "Surviving a Social Networking Crisis" by Lydia Henry because it was a topic that we discussed in length during class time. During lecture, we talked about the PR News survey results. PR News found that the biggest challenge of PR practitioners is keeping up with social media. The article said social media is an emerging new technology so it is becoming extremely hard to measure.

The PR News article I found on PRNews states a great point. There is a great deal of power in these social networking sites and many PR practitioners do not know how to handle bad PR found on Facebook or Twitter. Technology has made posting so easy that most people can blog or post on their cell phones and most people dont need to access a computer to ruin a company's reputation. The article gives advice to practitioners on how to handle this bad PR on social networking sites. I found this tip helpful: "address the problem by responding to the issue in the same media in which the bad news arrived and look for other appropriate places to get the word out."Even though the speed of communication has increased drastically over the last few years, PR practitioners can still manage any relations in a positive way by keeping a clear head and staying on top of breaking news/blog posts/facebook tags, etc.

If I were in a situation where I found my client with bad PR on Facebook, I would address the situation right away. I would not want to let the negativeness linger for everyone else to read. I need to quickly get a response out there by being prepared with the best media contacts and keeping my cool. I need to stay on top of all news about my client on these social networking websites. However, I may want to scream at the computer if there is something negative written or a bad image of my client but it is very inappropriate to bring my own personal feelings into this situation! Lastly I would want to be honest and reply with the best possible answer I could come up with to save my clients reputation. Like Henry said in "Surviving a Social Networking Crisis," "Cyberspace is a duplicitous place--full of information both sweet and scathing."

No comments:

Post a Comment